Tuesday, May 12, 2009

(2) Provision

"God has provided for everything. He did not want the thrust of
the Spirit in us to be in any way impeded or even reduced. Nor
did he want this great desire to embrace him to remain unawakened
in us."
[Elisabeth-Paule Labat, O.S.B., THE PRESENCE OF GOD, Paulist
Press, 1979, p. 89.]

Comment: Before Mother Labat became a Benedictine, she was
engaged in cultural pursuits, especially music and literature. However,
experiencing an existential "emptiness," she suddenly felt the Presence
of God in her life. Consequently, the thoughts expressed in her book
are her own, no doubt derived not only from her experience but also
refined by her Benedictine faith.

In my own case, I surely have experienced this special Presence in far
different ways. Probably this would be the case for others as well. So,
undoubtedly I might not agree with every pronouncement in Mother
Labat's book.

But one specific over which I agree is that, yes, I do believe that God
provides. Even as I look out on this complex world, out on the diversity
if its people, even of its incredible variety of life-forms, I do believe that
God made it such that all the needs of this planet could be answered
if we became more conscious of *who* we are!

Sometimes when I consider all the different psychological types we
are--i.e., Myers-Briggs--I can envision all the different mental styles
required to run this complicated world.

However I also consider seriously what Mother Labat says about
remaining "unawakened," when it comes to attending to the Spirit
Within. We need hone ourselves to *listen.* Listening is a primary
trait of the Benedictine monastic.

In the past we likely tried to listen, and usually translated any message
we might come to consider in mainly religious terms. Perhaps that
was an applicable way of considering the "thrust of the Spirit," but in
our own time I suspect we must expand upon any message we might
receive--and take it out into the world, to somehow address the world's
requirements needed to develop.

It would seem we are on the cusp of development, if you will. When it
comes to God's Presence, it sometimes seem we are stopped in our
tracks--looking back, rather than forward. Yet many of the great saints
in this world looked forward, in their own space and time. Sadly,
sometimes they were also punished. *Change* is difficult, and this
especially seems so within a religious context.

Yet, today, Change seems ever on the horizon, beckoning us to
work through such. But I do believe we need be very careful when
it comes to changing ourselves and our world. It kind of gets back
to the "Foundation" parable, in that it need be sturdy and dependable,
not built on shifting sands. Again we need listen keenly to the
Spirit dwelling within us.

As for myself--and I can only speak for myself--but I have been very
comfortable learning about God's Presence in Creation. For years I
worked as a docent naturalist, both in a museum's eco-literacy program
(for children) and out in the field at an estuary along the Pacific Flyway.
Studying more and more the Earth's natural systems, how they work,
indeed how they serve the planet's various life-forms, I eventually
became more and more incredulous how God has put all this together
to provide and serve Life.

On the other hand, there's still cruelty and death in Creation. It remains
hard to understand, yet I believe some day we will--and see what it
might mean, how such might actually fit.

But I have chosen the bright and beautiful side of God's Creation, and
(for me) I can see God's Presence in a wonderfully developing world.
Perhaps this is a way to "embrace" God. I know that I do, as I stand
watching great formations of birds come down to nest, to be safe, as
I stand on the beach, listening to the eternal pulse of the waves, waiting
for a glorious sunset and then the stars to shine in endless space.

These are only overt actions on my part, yet from that special *listening.*
But as I become more aware of the Presence Within, I have no doubt
that I will select far different ways to help provide for the needs of this
world. God Provides, I believe, through our conscious action(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment