Saturday, November 7, 2009

(50) Pathfinders

"Bede had a new vision of reality: to transcend the cultural
limitations of the great religions that he saw had become
"fossilized" and to find a wisdom, a philosophy that can
reconcile differences and reveal the unity underlying all their
diversities. The need is to reclaim the 'perennial philosophy,'
the eternal wisdom in each religion. Bede was a seeker of unity.
His life's work was that of calling us to see the necessity of the
marriage of East and West...Bede often said 'My monastery is
the world.'"
[Sr. Maurus Allen, OSB, "Book Review: Bede Griffiths: Essential
Writings."] [Also, see Post 31, "Bede's Vision," in this blogsite.]

Comment: The late Sr. Maurus, OSB, was a member of the
Sacred Heart Monastery in Cullman, Alabama. She spent some
time at the Shantivanam Ashram in India studying the con-
templative tradition in Christianity and Hinduism under the
guidance of Bede Griffiths, a Camaldolese Benedictine monk.
At Cullman, she taught Christian yoga.

It is becoming obvious that Benedictine monastics are surely
moving onto the "cutting edge" when it comes to their efforts
to learn, to seek spiritually. No doubt I will continue to come
across some of these "new" efforts as I work deeper into these
kind of Benedictine studies. (It's obvious that these efforts
towards monastic "unity" are now no longer new to pathfinding
Benedictine professed, but they are to me!)

In my own case perhaps I could call myself a "pathfinder," but
in a different way. I have spent more years than I can count
working into an equally new realm: Science and Spirituality.
Some pathfinder Benedictines have forged into this new arena
as well.

Fr. Bede was one, when he included a section called "Western
Science" in one of his books. Indeed, he welcomed Rupert
Sheldrake--a biologist from Cambridge University--to spend
some time at his ashram where he wrote his famous treatise on
morphogenetic fields. Such a new, cutting-edge concept, yet
Fr. Bede gave encouragement to the young biologist.

Br. David Steindl-Rast, OSB, and Fr. Thomas Matus, OSB (Cam),
were also pioneers when it came to an interchange with Fritjof
Capra discussing new explorations into Science and Spirituality.
No doubt as I plod along in the "Benedictine World" I will discover
yet more of these special Benedictine pathfinders!

It's just that I wish I could have discovered these monastic
pathfinders into the NEW years ago. Probably reflecting my
earlier ignorance of these special people, I forged alone
walking my own path. Indeed I felt guilty most of the time,
because my walk took me into territories that somehow
I felt must be "beyond the pale." And now, only to discover,
that all along we have had these Benedictine pathfinders!

My fault, no one to blame but myself. No longer, however.
Instead of blame, instead of wallowing in guilt, I will fully
enjoy tracking these "new" paths of the Benedictine
Pathfinders!

No comments:

Post a Comment