Thursday, February 4, 2010

(58) Balance II

"Balance is the word--and the way to Benedictine balance is
simply to live the life."
[Wulstan Mork, OSB, THE BENEDICTINE WAY, St. Bede's
Publications, 1980, p. 55.]

Comment: At the time of publication, Fr. Wulstan was a monk
at Marmion Abbey in Illinois. And though he wrote this book,
and several other books, the one small sentence above carried
within it the whole of the Benedictine Way!

I can only say that I am grateful, finally, to grasp this insight.
"Balance" can be very elusive, as I can well attest. Perhaps
the duration towards this condition might be easier inside the
monastery, where formation and fellow monks are there to
illustrate better their way of life. Outside the walls, the
challenge towards achieving balance surely is more demanding.

Without going into the precise details of the Benedictine Way,
I believe that I have formulated--at least for myself--a scheduled
approach to my day. It's about taking time out for certain
procedures, if you will. This kind of balance can prevent the
little cracks of chaos that might seep into one's day. On the
other hand, this kind of balance relates to an ordered life
that--in turn--holds the possibility for positive creativity.

However, there's a danger even here. I cannot presume for
others, but I (myself) have fallen afoul of *rigidity.* Living a
Benedictine life should flow as naturally as possible, gentle,
meaningful, satisfying. But learning one's way into living this
kind of balanced life might not only take time, but considerable
patience.

Consequently, I found that I had to be very patient with myself.
And figuratively not slap my hand every time I failed to follow
specific forms of the Benedictine Way. What worked for me was
when I finally reached a point towards understanding that the
process was *beneficial* for me. At that point I started to realize
the flow of the Benedictine Way far more easily.

Balance, too, lends very much towards Stability and Peace.