Wednesday, August 19, 2009

(35) Remembering

The sun is setting, the wild life all around has grown quiet,
some watching this great blaze of Day swooping down into
the West. For nigh on 30 years I have been grasped by the
great Benedictine Tradition, whether in a monastery setting
or outside beyond the walls. But of late I have been
contemplating over all this that Life and Experience bring.
It brought me some wonderful people, like my oblate friend
Francis Jean, and especially my esteemed friend--once my
spiritual director--Abbot Leonard Vickers, of both
St. Anselm's Abbey, Washington, DC, and Douai Abbey,
Woolhampton, England (near Oxford).

Both of these special Benedictine friends have long passed
away. I still cherish them, and somehow in remembrance I
honor the great Benedictine soul that they represented.

No comments:

Post a Comment