Wednesday, June 3, 2009

(15) Unexpected Humility

" [An] explorer who found spiritual renewal in the Wilderness was
John Muir (1838-1914), founder of the Sierra Club. From the
majestic Yosemite in California, Muir wrote: 'God's love covers all
the earth as the sky covers it, and also fills it in every pore. And this
love has voices heard by all who have ears to hear'...Muir could
best hear the voice of divine love when he climbed the mountains.
For him mountains were as spiritual as they are rocky; he imagined
them to be alive with the divine presence."
[Charles Cummings, O.C.S.O., ECO-SPIRITUALITY: TOWARD A
REVERENT LIFE, Paulist Press, 1991, p. 55.]

Comment: At the time of this publication, Charles Cummings was
a Trappist-Cistercian at the Holy Trinity Abbey in Utah. Interestingly,
I came across his book a short time after visiting Zion National Park
in Utah. I had been profoundly struck by the soaring monoliths,
looking at those high mountains whilst sitting amongst cottonwood
trees overlooking the Virgin River.

I had just come off completing a major thesis about the mystery of
the universe, integrating the "Cosmogenesis" theory of Teilhard
de Chardin with David Bohm's theory of the "Implicate Order." My
work concentrated on the theoretical, but after it was finished I felt
a longing to touch and feel God's Creation close-up, right here at
home on our Earth. Hence began my long series of visits to the
great parklands in the American and Canadian West, as well as
to the lagoons of the Baja.

All this eventually led me to become a docent naturalist in
addition to being a philosopher of science and evolutionary
systems. And over the years I have tried to integrate these
pursuits with the work of the Spirit.

Before reading Fr. Charles book, I had wondered how I might
understand these pursuits of mine in terms of the Benedictine
Tradition. Of course I knew that for centuries the monks had
worked the land, had understood the intricacies of agriculture.
Having visited monasteries, too, I knew the monks had long
been engaged in horticulture. Their beautiful gardens and
landscaping attests to this.

So, years later, I was not surprised to discover that some
Benedictine houses are providing ecological retreats. I haven't
attended any of these retreats, but I imagine they are responsible
approaches towards working into a better understanding of God's
good Creation as reflected by our small, sweet planet.

I do know that surely the Benedictines are *not* discussing
pantheism in these retreats. Rather, from their perspective, they
must be discussing "panentheism." Whereas pantheism identifies
God as the universe, panentheism considers God to be greater
than the universe but includes and interpenetrates the universe!
Yet, this returns us to theory--and I really wanted to get my hands
dirty, so to speak.

As I had put, I wanted to touch and feel God in Creation. I wanted
to be at that point of which Muir speaks--in that he could feel God's
love when he climbed the mountains.

From mountains, up to mountain tops, I have gained an unexpected
humility. One day I found myself standing before the Giant Sequoia,
redwoods that boast being the tallest trees on the planet. They were
also very old. "Majestic" was the only word I could conjure while
gazing at these massive life forms. I felt like a little speck in
comparison. This kind of humility is honorable I believe. It's not
about being a drudge, or worthless, but rather more about an
honest acceptance that there is far more in God's Creation than
just me or even humanity.

Still God has given us eyes, minds, feelings to gaze out on his
Majesty of Creation. It has not been difficult (for me) to sense
God's Presence in its midst. However, there seems a call of not
only humble appreciation but a certain *responsibility* towards
this Earth Garden that God has provided.

As I continue down this path, it will be interesting to reconnoiter
additional Benedictine publications that stress a responsible
ecological outlook which, in turn, links with spirituality.

No comments:

Post a Comment