Sunday, June 28, 2009

(26) Harmonious Labor

"In the Benedictine tradition, labor is dignified and so are the
laborers. In a society where work was a sign of lower status in
society, where nobles never expected to work a day in their
lives, where slavery was considered a natural state to life,
everyone worked in Benedict's community."
[Joan Chittister, O.S.B., WISDOM DISTILLED FROM THE DAILY:
LIVING THE RULE OF ST. BENEDICT TODAY, Harper & Row,
1990, p.89.]

Comment: Sr. Joan is a former Benedictine prioress and
well-known author of monastic books. And her notation
about labor is striking, in that it addresses the early period
of the Benedictine Order. St. Benedict himself hailed from
a Roman aristocratic family, but many of the monks in his
early monasteries were illiterate. He wrote his Rule to be
an equalizer amongst fellows. They were laymen, and he
was dubious about priests in his community. Seniority
basically was dependent on one's entrance date into the
monastery.

However, after more than 1500 years, the priesthood had
infiltrated the monasteries. Many of the priests became
"choir monks," whereas the common brothers came to be
known as "field monks." Status entrenched itself almost to
the present day. In modern times, this kind of status has
broken down. And now everyone has their share of common
duties in the monastery.
[See essay (12) Discrimination.]

Years back I knew a very erudite scholar monk. One day I
encountered him involved in back-breaking labor, doing
yard work, dressed "down," with shirt off because of the heat.
I asked him whether this was a usual chore. "Oh, yes!" And
he did not resent it, because it provided a balance in his life.

He loved the classroom where he taught young monks. He
enjoyed the quiet of the library where he did his research.
And he loved the serenity of his room, where he wrote his
findings. But, above all, he loved doing yard work for the
relaxation of his body.

It's neat when a person can live a balanced life that includes
both mental and physical effort. And sometimes one can
discover creativity in both kinds of effort.

Like the monk, I have long been a scholar. And I was lucky,
in that I found an escape engaging in landscaping. I spent
most of my days researching and writing, but by a stroke of
luck I was asked to sit on a neighborhood committee created
for the purpose of landscaping a large portion of land where
we lived.

Working with nursery professionals, I learned lots about different
kinds of trees and plants, about soils and maintenance. After
this neighborhood project was completed, I stood struck by our
accomplishment. We had created a place of beauty. In time I
started doing personal landscaping for myself, for friends as well.
I came to realize what a creative outlet this had become for me.

Still I continued as a scholar--still do. And even as I grow older,
I labor in the yard, building gardens, patios, where we can rest
and meditate. Probably I knew deep-down that this was a
monastic endeavor, creating both intellectually and physically,
giving time to both, becoming a seamless effort that is natural.

No doubt this sense of harmony exists in many spiritual traditions,
but I'm glad the Benedictines stress such.

No comments:

Post a Comment